Guidelines for a guided tour in a local company and/or an interview with a representative of a local company on globalisation of the working world and economy
Range of Topics and Issues
Description of a local company
- line / branch of business
- products / services
- legal form of the company (public company / stock corporation, family business, …)
- number of employees
- business volume and profit
- web address
- head office / corporate headquarters: Which impression does the visitor get from the building and the foyer?
Globalisation of the company
- survey of worldwide locations
- corporate structure and international division of labour
- number of employees in international locations
- business volume and profit in international locations
- Why do companies have international locations – why do they invest abroad?
- What are the advantages of the various locations?
- problems with locations abroad – are there different corporate cultures (communication between employees, team work, relationship between chief executive and staff, independence, competition among staff, …) in international locations?
- Are there different standards of work and production in international locations?
- Does the company have the same business principles / mission statement in all the locations? Which aims / norms / standards are mentioned?
- Does the expansion of the company change the business principles and corporate culture?
Globalisation of the working world
- Have the demands on employees changed? à mobility, knowledge of foreign languages,…
- Which languages are spoken in the company? Which language is used for which purpose?
- Are there problems of communication between employees in different countries (à corporate culture, language, …)
- Do company employees in different countries deal differently with
o conflicts among employees
o conflicts between chief executive and staff
o difficult tasks (àstrategies of problem solving, …)
- Which role do workers’ and employees’ representation play in the company?
- Has corporate power changed in relation to workers’ and employees’ power?
- Is there competition among international branches of the company? Does this influence the local / national branch?
- Is work experience abroad important for professional success in the company?
- Is work experience abroad important to get a job in the company?
- How many foreign employees does the company have in their national branch?
- Which role do the families of employees have? Does the company make special offers to family members of foreign employees?
- Are there differences between European and American companies? If yes – which?
- Are there differences between European and Asian companies? If yes – which?
- Characterize European companies with regard to American and Asian companies.
- What is higher concerning your country: the chances or risks of globalization?
- How do you assess the future role of your country concerning international competition?
- What are the most important tasks of your country’s economic policy?
- What is your advice for students who want to increase their chances of finding a job and having a career?
- What are your recommendations for students concerning academic studies and choosing a career?